Monday, August 22, 2016

Greenland!

No I didn't actually go to Greenland but read my email :) We've had a fun week in Holbæk. Work was hard this week and we had a lot of our lessons cancelled but we've learned a lot. We had a zone conference on Wednesday and we had some training on Member work. I'll give you a bit of how what I learned affects you. Help your missionaries! If you don't know who your missionaries are the first step is to find out. Second offer to help them. Third, tell them what times and what days you are willing and able to help them. The final step is to make sure they use you. It may be hard and I'm sure you are busy but the best lessons a missionary can teach are those with a member present. Do your best to help them.
On Sunday Elder Weese and I had a very busy day. I had to give a talk in church on temples and family history. It was only five minutes, but we're not going to talk a lot about that. It was rough. I'm glad we have very kind and supportive members in our ward. Another thing we got to do on Sunday was skype the members in Greenland. It was so cool. Sadly our President wouldn't let us fly to Greenland to teach them but he let us teach them over Skype. They have started doing that every month with different missionaries each time. It was a great experience. The members there are very strong and great people. It's cool to see that the gospel is the same in Denmark, back home in Utah, and even all the way in Greenland with its two members.
I wanted to share a thought I've had this week. Faith is hard. Faith is not something that is given to us and we will always have it no matter what. Faith will always be tried and questioned, and we have to continue to work to protect it. Even when you have faith you may also have doubts and worries. I can only give you advice and it is up to you to act on it. Rely on your testimony, always lean back on what you know is true. Look back on all of your blessings and remember where they came from. Share your faith with others. With pressure on the last one I want to invite all of you to try and share a piece of your faith with someone, member or nonmember, and tell me how it goes. Some of you may have a great spiritual experience or feel comforted, but I can promise you that if you act in faith by sharing it with another, your testimony will be strengthened.
Thank you all for everything that you do. I love hearing from you and I'm thankful for your examples. Thank you for your support and your love. Have an amazing week and a great beginning of the school year.
Love Ældste Smith 

P.S. The pictures of this week is 
1. A wheat field white and ready to harvest
2. Me looking good
3. Me throwing away our pizza box collection from all our pizzas last month. (We've quit that habit.)
4. Elder Weese thought it would be funny to put a bunch of glasses full to the brim with water on my desk. I will be getting him back.






Hey dad. I'm doing pretty good. I hope to hear about grandma and grandpas soon. Thank you for keeping me updated on people. You've kept me more updated on some of my friends than they have. The language is still hard but it's getting much better. Now I'm just  not sure what to say. I do write down words when I can. It helps a lot. We did skype to greenland. It was awesome. Elder Weese talked about charity and I talked about the spirit. It was good. I'm sorry you have been real busy but I'm glad you have a job. Keep working hard. I have been trying to work on following promptings of the spirit and studying it a lot so it's been good. I read a really good talk by David something McConkie. I think that was his name.Thanks for everything. I'm sorry my emails suck. Try to get other things from the other emails. Maybe you all need to send me one email with questions. haha. Thanks for the advice, I love you.
Love Elder Smith

Mom, We have some pretty awesome members don't we! They really are super helpful with everything.
I'm not really a huge fan of my hair. I have to make sure it looks okay in the morning. I think I should cut it off. I've realized that the Danes don't really care how their hair looks at all, but sadly I have to make sure mine looks good because I am a missionary.
Haha I'm glad you got my letter. I actually like the licorice ones. Sometimes I think these are kind of gross. But then I like them. I try to think of other little things I can send you. Like maybe one of those kinder buenos or whatever they are called. I got the letter from all of you this week! It was awesome and made me so happy. And thanks for the food things. They will help a lot I hope.
We don't get to work with refugees a lot. We aren't aloud to go in the camps and we can only teach them under special conditions. It's to protect us and to protect them. A lot of them love us but also a lot of them dislike us. So we have to be careful. It's sad but I understand it. The ones I've met and talked to are really great people though.
I will try my best to take food with me where I go. I keep getting upset because we get in crap situations and food is expensive and all my bread keeps expiring two days after I buy it. :( We eat out at kabab shops sometimes. It's like Arabic fast food. And sometimes McDonalds. They have McDonalds and burger king here but they are a little different and really expensive. Soda is expensive. Like 3 dollars for  a regular drink. But luckily I am good at controling myself with soda. Elder Weese is a cokeaholic. 
Our investigators are doing good but we have a lot of finding to do. We need more new investigators. We only have 3 right now and two are struggling but slowly getting better. 
We didn't have to where suits to the game luckily haha. It was fun.
I forgot I talked about faith last week until now but I talked about it again in this email. Oh well. It was a little different.
That's cool that Kelsey came over. I have a lot of friends that email me and it's actually been really hard because it takes a lot of time to email and we only have two hours to do it. I feel like I should email the people that email me so it's hard. I write the least to my missionary friends because I know they understand but we email really good things to eachother. They have ipads though so they can email all pday.
I love you ten times more than you will ever love me!
Jeg elsker dig. Have en goddag og uge.
Love Ældste Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment