Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy 4th!

I hope you are all having a fantastisk 4th of July in the states right now but I happen to be halfway around the world. So Denmark happens to be extremely beautiful. It's full of cobblestone streets, brick houses with tile roofs, delicious pastries, and a whole lot of green. The food is way different but extremely good. I may have a weight problem in a few weeks... Just kidding mom. My pants still fit.
My first area is Holbæk which is in northern Sjælland. It's a driving area so we are lucky enough to have a car! My companions name is Ældste Weese and he has been a perfect trainer so far. He is way good at Danish so thats nice because I recently found out that I actually can't speak Danish. That was really exciting and fun...
The past week has been way crazy. I had my last Sunday at the MTC which was really good. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone. My two companions dropped me off at the travel office at 3:30 am on Monday and us heading to Denmark were on our way to the airport. After 3 long flights and getting to talk to my family for few minutes on the phone, we arrived in Denmark at 9 am Tuesday morning. We went contacting in Copenhagen and had a Danish dinner. Then we played ping pong for a while and as soon as my head hit the pillow that night I was asleep. The next day we got to do some orientation and meet our trainers which was awesome, then we headed to our areas. Over the past few days we've jumped right into the work. A lot of training and contacting and talking to people. A few dinner appointments. It's been swell.
It's been really hard going around a country that speaks a different language. Also I found out that I don't know how to buy groceries for myself. I got ice cream, chocolate milk, and sandwich stuff, so I should be set. I haven't had the challenge of riding a bike everywhere yet so that's good. I miss my little MTC family sometimes because it's so different not being surrounded by missionaries like at the MTC, but I'm glad I'll get to see them around. Another thing that has been hard is trying to stay awake all the time. It's okay when we're doing things but when we're sitting around or driving it's really hard. Church was super hard. The man I was sitting next to said that I almost made it into the high priests quorum because my head was bobbing so much. I'm glad the Danes have a sense of humor. Church gave me more of a headache than a spiritual experience to be honest. I cannot wait for the day I can at least understand Danish because that will be a good day. Haha.
I want you all to know that we all have different challenges and trials in our lives. We all have to do different things to overcome them. One thing that is not different but is the same no matter what the trial is or no matter what the challenge is is that we need help. We need the Lord's help because he knows us individually and he knows how to help us. I know for a fact I am going to need Christ by my side constantly over the next two years. Take your individual hardships and learn from them. They can become a huge testimony builder and change you for the better. Let your weaknesses become strengths. I know that since coming on my mission my testimony has grown much stronger and that isn't because it has been easy but because it has been hard and the Lord has helped me. I know he will help you too.
I love you all and I hope you have tons and tons of fun today. Happy Birthday America! Thank you all for your support and love. Talk to you all next week!
Love, Ældste Smith

Here are some pictures from this week. My companions dropping me off to go to Denmark, the original Christus statue, a picture of me in front of an old church, and a picture out our apartment window.






​I can't believe I'm actually here in Denmark. I really love it here and everything is so great. You would all love it as well but mom comes to mind especially. So much green and rolling pastures, old buildings made from brick with red orange roofs. Old churches all over the place and cobblestone streets. It's awesome. I can't speak Danish at all so it's been pretty hard the past few days. I don't really know how to go grocery shopping so that was hard. Besides all the hard things I really love it here and I really love the people so much. How have you all been?






Hey papa. I answered your questions in other emails so I hope you gather them all up. I'm glad you're recovering okay and hope you recover quickly. I hope you have a super good fourth. Thanks for your amazing example and help to me. I love you lots.
Love, Elder Smith



Here is Elder Weese and I with some dinner. :)

 

Photos below sent from Eva Stokholm, a member there in Denmark who made a wonderful 4th of July celebration for the missionaries!


From Tyler's companion, Elder Weese:

Well I've been with my trainee, Æ, Smith, for 4 days and I can already tell these next couple of transfers are going to be pretty great:) Æ. Smith is a champ! Fresh out of Vernal, Utah ready to hit the streets preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  We have already had some great teaching experiences together! He has a great attitude and is ready to work and study hard. We get along way good! Holbæk, Denmark isn't going to know what hit 'em!

To Mor:

I'm sorry I forgot to talk in Danish to you on the phone. It's okay because I don't actually talk Danish... :(
I'm glad you have gotten to see me on the blog. They are good at updating it. I love Dayton's 4th of July, I hope you're having fun today for the 4th. Alright. Questions.
1. Elder Weese is super great. He's really nice and helpful. He is really good at explaining how to do things before he makes me do them. We get along super well and he taught me a lot about how to talk to people so far so that's been good.
2.My mission president and his wife are the cutest couple ever haha. I want you to meet them someday. I love them a lot. They have taught us a lot about expectations. This mission is very hard, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. In this mission we teach repentance and baptize converts. There is just a lot of work to be done.
3.The flight was super super long. I got a little sleep. I have been super tired but adjusting gradually.
4.I've told you some about Denmark. My favorite thing is the food haha just kidding I'm not sure but the food is really good. There's lots of different quirks but nothing super weird. The sinks and toilets are different. The showers are just in the bathroom not seperated. If that makes sense. The light switches are different. The stores are random. Like the stuff in them aren't super organized just in random places.
5.I'm in Holbæk, its a nice small town. I would guess its similar to most towns in Denmark. The church is really small. But normal I guess.
6.Our apartment is small and homey. I sent you some pictures of it. It's just the two of us in our whole area.
7.I've eaten lots of things. I can't remember what it's all called. I haven't really eaten anything bad yet. I'm not a huge fan of the liverpaste but I am a big fan of all the pastries.
8.The Danish is bad.
9.I Didn't really play any music at the mission home because I was so tired.
10.Best experience. We taught a muslim man yesterday on his doorstep and it was just super awesome I hope he calls us. The worst thing was church on Sunday. 

I love you lot's and thank you so much for everything. You're the best mommy ever.
Love, din søn, Ældste Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment